Saturday, October 9, 2010

six - yesterday is over, it's a different day

It’s been two weeks. Mike didn’t win the Stanley Cup. Chicago did. I knew how devastated he would be right now. I was hurting for him. I hadn’t talked to him since the day I got here. But I still thought about him, everyday.

“Jules” Mike sighed, “You need to get out of the house”

“What am I supposed to do here?”

“Jen’s gone” he replied, “She’s gone back to Toronto for a bit, see the family”

“And your point is?”

“Let’s do something today, get lunch, go for a drive, anything to get you out of here”

“Fine” I mumbled, “Let me get dressed.

I put a pair of jeans on and Mike’s player shirt, so bright, and orange. I didn’t care. I pulled my hair back and put on some light makeup. I came out of the room and Mike just stared at me.

“What?”

“Do you want to get shot? Have you forgotten where you are?”

“Fine” I whined going back into my room. I grabbed a white v-neck t-shirt and a long gold necklace.

“Much better” he said as I came back out.

We ended up going to a small Italian place for lunch. I just got a plate of pasta and Mike was pretty silent. Not that I was saying much either.

“Okay” he said, “you’re my best friend, and I can’t stand seeing you so miserable, is there anything that will get your mind off of this, if only for a little while?”

I just sighed, “I don’t know” I shrugged, playing with the food on my plate, “maybe a movie?”

“Not if it means going back home”

“I tried” I smirked.

“There’s that smile I’ve been waiting to see”

I just smiled bigger and looked back down at my plate, “How about a drive? Some good music, good company? That’s the best I can do” I shrugged.

“Better than nothing” he replied.

He paid the bill and we took a walk back to the car.

“Why him?” he asked.

He caught me off guard with that one, “What?”

“You heard me” he replied.

“Mike, I just--he just came, I didn’t choose it, I just fell in love with him” I replied, “Why can’t you accept it”

“You deserve better”

“He is better than that. He does love me”

We got into the car and I grabbed his iPod as he started the car. I immediately played Van Morrision, we both had a soft spot for that band.

“Do you remember when we used to sing, sha la la la la la la la la” I sang. He just rolled his eyes and I laughed, “I love this song”

“Cast my memory back there, Lord, sometime I'm overcome thinking 'bout, making love in the green grass, behind the stadium with you, my brown eyed girl you my brown eyed girl” I kept singing, and I knew every word.

“Now where was this girl just a few days ago?” he asked turning down the volume.

“Guess I just needed to get out”

“I guess so” he smirked.

That’s all the day was. Driving around, listening to old music, singing along, and laughing, which I haven’t done in a long time. This is exactly what I needed.

We got back to the house and I collapsed onto the couch.

“So when’s Jen get back?” I asked flipping through the tv channels.

“Sunday”

“So we’re home free for a couple days” I joked.

He just chuckled and grabbed some water from the fridge. He sat down next to me and just smiled.

“I missed you”

“I’ve been right here” I replied.

“No, I missed you, the old you, the you I see right now. You’re eyes are glowing for a change, you’re happy, I missed that”

I felt my face flush red, “Well it’s good to be back”

No comments:

Post a Comment