Wednesday, September 29, 2010

five - when it's bad, it's awful

I got home, and surely, she was right. She was gone. I looked around the house, it’s like half of it was gone, it was half empty. There was barely a trace of her left. I went to the kitchen and saw a piece of paper on the table.

Mike, I thought about it, and I think it’s time we went our separate ways. We both know we’ll kill each other before we can be happy. You know I love you, and I’m sorry.

The anger build up inside me and I grabbed the empty vase on the counter and threw it across the room, listening as every piece shattered to the ground. I almost punched a hole through the wall.

All I could was go into the washroom and splash cold water on my face. I just looked in the mirror and sighed. What did I do?

The anger fired up again and all I could do was throw my fist at the mirror, smashing it to pieces. I’ve underestimated my strength.

I didn’t like to admit my feelings out loud. That’s probably what ultimately pushed her away in the first place. Right now, I was angry, sad, frustrated, and heartbroken. It hurt. She’s threatened to leave before, and never did. I never thought about the day where she might actually go through with it.

I grabbed my keys, full of passion, intensity and anger and drove myself to the rink. I didn’t care what time of day it was, this was the only thing that would calm me down.

I slipped on my skates and grabbed my stick. The place seemed so cold and empty without fans screaming and chanting. I grabbed a bucket of pucks and started shooting them at the net. With every shot, it seemed like I was hitting the puck harder and harder, until I heard a crack.

“Fuck” I mumbled under my breath as I looked at the glass behind the net.

“You’ve got quite a shot tonight” I heard a voice behind me. I turned around to see Jeff.

“Yah well, I guess anger can do that”

“Julie?” he asked.

“She left, she’s gone” I replied shooting another puck.

“Sorry to hear that” he replied.

“Yah…”

“This is how you plan to resolve the problem?” he asked skating onto the ice.

“What are you doing here tonight anyways?” I asked, avoiding the subject.

“Don’t change the subject”

“Coming here was my first instinct”

“It wasn’t to go after her?”

“Of course I thought about that!” I snapped, “But we’ve got a Stanley Cup to win, I can’t just up and leave for her”

“Dude, maybe that’s the reason she left”

“What?”

“You let hockey get in the way” he replied, “You put hockey before her”

I just sighed and shot another puck, “There’s not much I can do now”

“I’m not going to say another word” he replied slipping a puck away and shooting it, “this is your battle”

The truth is, I never thought about going after her. Which makes me seem even worse. Hockey has always been my life, and when she came into mine, I thought she’d understand that, but it just ended up being a wedge between us. It pushed her away, this is my fault. She deserves better.

I had to go after her, after the finals are over I will do everything in my power to get her back. I don’t care what it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment