Saturday, September 18, 2010

three - they say it's best to go your separate ways

I sat on the front step of the house, watching the sky get darker and darker, waiting to hear his footsteps come up the walk. I was mad at him, yes, fed up, yes, annoyed, yes, but I still loved him.

Finally, as it was almost pitch black, he came back, in his game day suit. He was holding something behind his back. He kneeled down to my level and held out a little stuffed bear, and then a single daisy in his other hand. I took them both from his hand. He knew all the little things, he knew what got to me.

I just stared at him and then down at the bear, he made his way back into the house and I sat there, holding the bear my chest as tears streamed down my cheek. The common sense tells me I don’t need him, but the other side loves him, too much for my own good.

I stood up and walked back into the house, placing the bear on the kitchen table. I walked into the living room and saw him sitting on the couch. I watched for a moment, as I leaned against the doorframe, it was a moment before he realized I was there.

“Hi…”

“I’m sorry” I replied.

“I’m sorry too…I was stupid”

“You know I love you Mike”

“I love you too…”

“Why do we have to almost kill each other to realize it?” I sighed.

“I don’t know…”

“Well…I think right now is a good time to maybe just take a break. You’ve got your Stanley Cup to win, and when you’re back, we’ll talk”

“If that’s what you want”

“If you want this to work, you’ll want it to”

He just sighed, “Alright then”

“How’d the game go?” I asked, “I can’t say I watched”

“We won, 5-3” he replied.

“You tied it…I’m happy for you” I smiled.

“Thanks”

The rest of the night was quiet. He was leaving tomorrow for game 5, in Chicago. I didn’t know what was going to happen after he got back, I didn’t know if I’d even be here when he got back.

It was 8am, my eyes slowly opened and I felt someone next to me. I turned over and there he was, as if nothing even happened last night. I stood up trying not to wake him, but was unsuccessful.

“Morning”

“Hi” I simply replied as I threw on a pair of shorts.

“Sorry, I could have slept on the couch…”

“No, it’s fine, it’s a little late for that now” I walked out into the kitchen and pulled a can of coffee out of the cupboard.

I heard him come out of the bedroom and stop in the kitchen. He was staring at me, I could feel his eyes burning through me. I simply turned around and looked back at him. Even though at the moment we were not together.

“You don’t have to make it awkward” he said.

“I’m not” I snapped, “I’m talking to you, aren’t I?”

“You act like nothing happened”

“Shouldn’t we?” I replied, “Shouldn’t we forget it happened at all?”

“It’s a little hard”

“Either way, we need time away from each other”

“We’ve been together for less than a month”

“And how much of that month did we spend apart?”

He was silent.

“Not a whole lot” I replied, “we’ve constantly been together, and I think we need a break”

“Fine then”

“Fine”

I turned back around and finished making the pot of coffee, as I heard him go back into the room to get his things ready to leave. I didn’t show it, but everything inside hurt. Everything was telling me to just apologize and let it be, but I wasn’t giving in that easily.

I watched him open the door and turn around to look at me. Neither of us said a word. He was only gone for a couple days, but a lot can happen in a couple days. He just sighed and shut the door behind him. I couldn’t not say anything. I ran to the door and opened it standing on the front porch.

“Mike!”

He turned around and stared for a minute, “Yah?”

“Good luck”

He just smirked and nodded, “Bye Jules”

“Bye”

No comments:

Post a Comment